Ophir Post Office is a small building of schist masonry built in 1886 to serve a thriving goldfields town. Since the 1890s it has been managed by women. In 1976 the Post Office was taken over by Heritage New Zealand and restored, and still operates postal services for three hours each weekday morning. Its interior remains largely unchanged from the time of its construction. Prized by collectors, letters posted from here carry the original VR (Victoria Regina) rubber stamp postmark. Just off the rail trail from Omakau.